Monday, November 15, 2010

Changing my life one day at a time

Ok everyone-so its Monday and I'm determined to have a great week! So I'm going to confess my sins of the past week and then put it behind me. Last week I didn't do one minute of exercise. Not one stinkin minute. I ate ok... but didn't count calories or read any labels. There. Now that I've put that out in the open I'm going to say that this week will be better. I started out this morning with a nice bowl of oatmeal. So I already feel like I've made at least one good choice today.

I then stopped at Starbucks (I can not resist the Christmas cups. I simply can not.) I had a grande peppermint mocha. If I did not get this drink I would have a horrible headache right now. I am so addicted to caffeine. I wish I could kick this habit... and trust me I'm going to try-but for now here it is to stay. It is one of the few things that brings me joy on my morning commute. Did I ever mention that my morning commute can take anywhere from 45 minutes-2 hours? Yep. I'm in the car an extremely long time. Because of this I can hardly begrudge myself one little pleasure. But really I should try and limit it or find a smaller calorie option. In New York on the subways they have these anti-obesity ads. They say "Don't drink your calories" or something like that but the picture is really gross. Its a picture of a "snapple-looking" bottle pouring actual fat in to a glass. I try and picture that image when I want a snapple and it works. But when I want a Starbucks no lard in a cup image will stop me.

I'm trying to get back on the band wagon this week... so my goal for the rest of the year is to lose twenty pounds by the time I go home for Christmas. I know this is pretty realistic/tough to do in a little over a months time-but really it is all that I want for my Birthday and for Christmas. My dear friend Heidi offered to help me do a little shopping for clothing that is easy to alter as I lose weight. I'm so excited and looking forward to shopping with her when I'm home for Christmas. I really have the most supportive friends! I'm so thankful for all of you. A few shouts out are in order. Since it is Thanksgiving time I'd like to say I'm thankful for the following:

Sophie for getting her self up extra early and encouraging me to go for a nice walk/jog. She pushed me to run the 5K in June with her and really motivated me every step of the way.

Allison for her daily reminders to work out and for all of the other helpful healthy advice she gives me.

Heidi for constantly encouraging me and really making me feel loved.

Heather for pushing me and motivating me in so many cute ways.

Deanna for being my partner in this weight loss journey. She has committed to join me in my 20 pounds by Christmas challenge!

You girls are so wonderful. I'm so very lucky to have all of you. I'm also thankful for my dear sweet Johnny. He is really learning how to be supportive in my weight loss (in ways that work for me). I love him with all of my heart.

There is so much life to celebrate-I don't want it to pass me by because I'm too fat to enjoy it. Have a great week!

3 comments:

  1. 20 pounds is quite a goal. A healthy rate should be 1 or 2 pounds a week. Anything above that is not too good for your body. I'm trying to not count pounds though and just concentrate on being healthy. Let me tell you, it was frustrating at first when I started actually gaining some weight but I was losing inches. Muscle is a weird thing like that.

    But I wish you luck. Actually, you don't need luck because I know you can do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep it up jess this is worth it for your health and self confidence you are amazing and beutiful and I know you can do it!!! Go Jess!!!! Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am too trying to cut down on my Starbucks because lets face it at nearly 5 bucks a pop, they are a little spendy. haha But I do get ridiculously bad headaches too. Try making some caffinated tea in a travel mug a few days a week maybe. I keep tea at my desk. Its not a nice as Starbucks but it helps the headaches! But don't cut it out all together thats just mean! Can't wait to go shopping!!!
    XOXO I say this as I am sipping on a venti soy chai. But I did'nt buy it so its okay today I feel. lol VENTI! dear god I have a problem...

    ReplyDelete