Thursday, October 28, 2010

This time is different


I'm not sure why... but I feel that this time is going to be different. As scary as this is for me... I'm going to invite other people to watch my journey. I've thought about this for a long time and I really see a lot of good reasons to invite others to view my journey. I am so serious about doing this that I called in sick to work today in order to get myself going. In truth I've been having some nasty headaches and I could use some rest... but I think it is all connected to my weight. This past summer I had a period that would not end. I bled for 90 days straight. I'm sorry to be so graphic-but it is what happened. I was subjected to millions of "tests" and proding and they could not find one thing wrong with me. In fact in the end my doctor told me very kindly that I really just needed to lose some weight because the excessive weight put my hormones all out of whack.

First of all it will keep my honest, motivated and accountable. So many countless times I have wanted to get in shape-but something has gotten in the way every time. That "something" has been myself. I have all of the tools that one could possibly need to get in shape. I have all of the motivational fitness books, I have low fat recipes, I have about a million work out dvds with many more available to me for free online! I have NO more excuses.

Second-I really hope to be able to motivate others. I know I am not the first person to have weight problems. I have seen so many people lose large amounts of weight and keep them off. Some of these people have been loved ones and friends... but mostly they have been strangers. I'd like to keep this blog in order for others to see an honest struggle and progression of weight loss.

Third- I need a way to work this all out in my head. I have a large amount of weight to lose. I have over 100 pounds to lose. Just to admit that here scares the shit out of me. But in order to lose weight I really have to be honest with myself. I have to tackle this head on and being in denial about the number is not getting me anywhere. I have almost 150 lbs. to lose. That is so embarassing. How did I let this happen? This is something that I will ask myself every day for the rest of my life. I'm hoping to find at least some answers to my questions here.

So here we go...
Day One: October 28, 2010
Weight: 277
Body Fat: 48%

My current goal is to be at 135 pounds. I say current because I believe that as I lose weight that number may change. But I say 135 because that would be a healthy weight for someone of my height and build. I also have another motivating fact... I'm planning on getting married next summer. That gives me about nine months to lose the weight at about 16 pounds a month. That is actually a very reasonable goal. But we will see how realistic it is when you add in normal life.

Today my exercise was: Bob Harper Inside Out Method (Super Strength) and Biggest Loser Last Chance Workout led by Jillian Michaels. I like these work outs because one is pure strength training and the other is interval training. The Last Chance Workout switches between cardio and weight training. The other good thing is that Inside Out Method has a 20 minutes version and Last Chance Workout is only twenty-five minutes long so there really is no excuse of not having the time. If you'd like to purchase these workout videos you can find it here:My Trainer Bob and Biggest Loser Workout DVD. Check out Bob's website for lots of advice and motivation.

I got a great motivational quote from Real Simple Magazine
“Things start as hopes and end up as habits.”
― Lillian Hellman

I'm hoping that this hope of mine ends up as a habit! Happy work out to you! 

1 comment:

  1. You are so brave and strong! I know you can do this. Thanks for letting yourself be vulnerable. You already do inspire and motivate me. I look forward to reading more about your journey!

    ReplyDelete